If you’re ready to erase years or even decades off your face, then you’ve probably considered a facelift. Phoenix and Scottsdale men and women come to Dr. Meger when they want a precise, caring, and professional surgeon to help them look as good on the outside as they feel on the inside. Want proof? Check out our gallery of Before-and-After pictures where we showcase the life changing results our patients get.
We would love to talk with you about any questions that you might have about facelifts–even if you’re just starting to think about your options. We can even set up a consultation here at our offices where you will talk with Dr. Meger, discover what your options are, and discuss your goals for your face. Give us a call today at (602) 957-6000. We understand completely that this is a huge decision and our entire team is here to help you in any way that we can.
What is a Facelift?
Phoenix and Scottsdale men and women who have started to notice their facial skin beginning to sag or develop wrinkles can instantly erase those issues and look younger with a facelift.
Medically, a facelift is called a rhytidectomy. It is a procedure designed to reduce the appearance of sagging in the face and neck. The procedure is perfect for individuals who have developed facial creases and folds or even lost some muscle tone. Other cosmetic procedures that complement facelift surgery include blepharoplasty (eyelid lift) and browplasty (forehead lift).
Click here to see some of our Before-and-After pictures.
What Happens During a Facelift?
- Phoenix and Scottsdale patients will undergo their procedure in an outpatient surgery center.
- From there, depending on the type of facelift you and Dr. Meger have discussed, he will make an incision near the temple and continue it around the ear and stop at the lower scalp.
- Once the incision is made, the facial muscles are lifted and the tissue beneath the skin is repositioned. Any excess skin is removed as well.
- Incisions are closed with sutures or a skin adhesive or tape. The resulting scar lines are hidden from view in the hair or in the contours of the face.
- Other procedures, such as laser resurfacing, fat transfer to the face, microdermabrasion, and dermal fillers can enhance the results of the treatment.
What is the Recovery Process for a Facelift?
Phoenix and Scottsdale patients should expect their facelift results to appear over time as they heal and recover from the procedure. There will be some initial bruising and swelling that will usually go away within a couple weeks–sometimes longer. But generally, the swelling dissipates after about four months and the incision lines mature after six months.
Immediately after the procedure, a bandage will be applied to minimize any bruising or swelling and a drain may be used to safely collect any excess fluid or blood that accumulates beneath the skin. Most patients stay one night at the recovery center and the doctor will discharge you the following morning. He will also provide instructions for home care and prescribe the appropriate medications.
How to Maintain Your Facelift Results
After you’ve had your facelift and are enjoying looking like your younger self, there are some strategies that we discuss with patients in detail on how to maintain their results.
- Follow your postoperative instructions – Be sure to follow Dr. Meger’s recovery instructions to the letter.
- Avoid Direct Sunlight – The sun can absolutely ravage your skin so we always recommend staying out of direct sunlight and use sun block. This includes tanning beds!
- You are what you eat – Make sure that you eat a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables.
- Stay hydrated – Most people don’t drink enough water and staying hydrated can have a huge impact on your skin.
- Quit smoking – Patients must discontinue all nicotine use 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after a facelift.
If you’re ready to erase the wrinkles on your face and look years younger, call Dr. Meger today at (602) 957-6000 to learn more about a facelift.