Whether your breasts are uneven or lopsided, you just got done with childbearing and breastfeeding, you’ve had a mastectomy, or if you simply want to add more size to your breasts, then you’ve probably given some thought to breast augmentation. Phoenix women cannot only dramatically improve the appearance of their breasts with an augmentation procedure, but they can also change their lives.
We firmly believe that everyone deserves to love their body. If you’re unhappy with your breasts for any reason give Dr. Meger a call today at (602) 957-6000. After you call us, the first step is to set up an in-office consultation where you will meet with Dr. Meger, ask all of your questions, and talk about your goals for your breasts. Dr. Meger is a board certified plastic surgeon and is passionate about making sure his patients feel comfortable and that they end up with the body they’ve dreamed of having.
Exactly What is Breast Augmentation?
Phoenix patients interested in breast augmentation should start with a general idea of what the procedure is. Breast augmentation is a surgical treatment to increase the shape and size of the breasts. This is accomplished by surgically placing an implant behind your breast with the goal of increasing volume and improving shape. You might want to restore the shape and size of your breasts due to changes that take place after weight loss, childbearing or even as a result of aging.
In each of these cases, the result is not only an improved appearance but also a boost in your self-confidence. During your first consultation with Dr. Meger, he will talk with you about what your goals are for your breasts, your concerns, and then provide guidance with his extensive experience to make sure you get your perfect breast shape that will enhance and boost your body proportions.
The Procedure for Breast Augmentation
Phoenix patients who meet with Dr. Meger to discuss breast augmentation will learn exactly how the procedure is done from start to finish.
- First, the procedure will be performed at an outpatient surgery center or a hospital.
- A local anesthetic and intravenous sedation are usually administered before the procedure. A general anesthesia may be given in some cases.
One of the most important decisions that patients will make, with Dr. Meger’s help and guidance, is where the incision will be placed. Scarring is one of the main considerations when choosing the right incision and there are three different types to choose from:
- Inframammary – Dr. Meger places the inframammary incision on the underside of the breast in the fold of skin. This allows patients to easily hide any scarring with a bra or a swimsuit top. Inframammary incisions are popular with women who may still want to breastfeed since it offers them the lowest risk of complications.
- Periareolar – With this option, Dr. Meger places the incision around the areola. While this does offer women the ability to hide any scarring, it also comes with a higher risk of losing nipple sensation and the ability to breastfeed later on.
- Transaxillary – The final option is for Dr. Meger to place the incision in the armpit. With this transaxillary incision, he will create a tunnel to the breast pocket and place the implant using an endoscope, which is a surgical camera and video system allowing the doctor to see inside the breast pocket. Some women choose this option because there is no scarring around the breast itself after the procedure.
Recovering from Breast Augmentation
Phoenix patients who have just completed a breast augmentation procedure are first transported to a recovery area where they are monitored. A dressing is applied and they are outfitted with a compression band.
Usually, patients may go home after a couple of hours, or less. It’s important that you schedule someone to come with you to the procedure so they can drive you home and assist you in post-surgical care.
Before patients leave they are given detailed information for post-surgical care. During the first week, patients may experience pain or soreness in their chest which Dr. Meger can prescribe pain medications to minimize.
Dressings will be removed after just one day. Patients should not engage in lifting, pulling, pushing or any strenuous activities, especially in the upper body area.
Patients who undergo breast augmentation are generally able to return to work about a week following the surgery.
If you are ready to find out if you’re a good candidate for breast augmentation, call Dr. Meger today at (602) 957-6000. During your consultation, Dr. Meger will review the size and shape of the breasts, and if they are sagging, he may even recommend a breast lift to complement augmentation. We can’t wait to hear from you and are excited to be part of your journey!